Saturday, May 28, 2011

Go West, Young Man... or East...

Home Sweet Home

Well, I am home. Having completed my first year of formal theological studies at Catholic U. in D.C., I made my way home. The mountains, hills, lakes and streams have been most refreshing. However, none so refreshing as breathing in the air of the Hills than that of the city. I have gained a new appreciation for actually being able to see the stars at night, knowing they are not planes or satellites or helicopters. Its also much more quite. No ambulances, or cars racing (at least on my street).

This however is in no way to denigrate the fine city of Washington in the District of Columbia. It has nice architecture, beautiful churches, many museums and monuments, and many good friends. But nothing is so fine as coming home to the prairie and the Hills. The cool weather, familiar faces, and outdoors that are not hazardous to my health really swing the meter to beautiful Western South Dakota. Freedom is truly found here.

New Bishop!

Yet when speaking of the blessings of being home, I must proclaim: Habemus Episcopum! Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI has blessed the people of South Dakota with the appointment of Msgr. Robert D. Gruss of Davenport, Iowa to the office of bishop in our great diocese. I met with him this morning and am filled with joy and hope for our diocese as we continue to grow in and towards the Kingdom of Our Father. Bishop-elect Gruss struck me as a humble and holy man. He spoke with sincerity and complete trust in the Blessed Trinity's Providence in his life as well as in ours. His exhortation to prayer as the mainstay to relationship with God and a flourishing vocation were inspiring, evidencing a man deeply in love and in tune with God. Our prayers have been answered, thanks be to God for a new shepherd! Let us continue our prayers that Our Lord will bless Msgr. Gruss and our diocese abundantly.

Summer Assignment

And finally I ship out tomorrow for my summer assignment from the See. I have been posted on the Standing Rock Reservation to be under and assist Father Ron Garry and Father John Lule. There will be much to learn and much to take in during my time there. In the beginning of June, I will also be attending Basic Directions for Native Ministry to appropriate means to effectively serve those on the reservation. There are multiple parishes in the McLaughlin cluster. I am not sure quite what to expect, but be assured that there will further postings and pictures. There should be ample time to engage in such matters, I believe.

Well... Enough for now, packing must be done, books gathered and goodbyes said. Pray for me and know of my prayers for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well thought out. All of us are excited for out new bishop. I hope you enjoy your summer assignment and I am sure that you will grow in your faith because of it.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it's going well for you! Hope your summer goes well!